When we want smooth, straight locks we always reach for our hair straightener, but many of us don’t know that you can also use this versatile tool to achieve many other styles from beachy waves to voluminous curls.
When it comes to on-trend curls, the best tool to use is your hair straightener. We all strive for that natural, bouncy curl, as opposed to tight corkscrew style curls that you get with traditional curling tools.
Many of us shy away from this technique as it is tricky, however once you’ve mastered curling with a straightener you won’t look back - it’s quick, easy and lasts much longer than traditional curls.
This is why we’ve put together our top tips on how to curl your hair with a straightener.
7 Tips for Curling Your Hair with a Straightener
- Always begin with a heat protector spray. This is so important to avoid your hair being totally frazzled by the high heat of the straighteners. Be sure to spray this all over the hair, particularly at the end as that is where the hair is the most porous and therefore accrues the most damage - and nobody has time for split ends!
- Start at eye level. The main point to curling your hair with a straightener rather than a curling wand is so that you can achieve more casual curls, rather than tight ones which start right at the top and go all the way down. If your hair naturally has a wave to it, use the straightener to smooth down the first couple of inches of hair to find the best place to start.
- Use a straightener with a rounded handle and a swivel cord. Our deluxe hair straighteners are perfect for styling your hair curly. The curved edge will allow you to wrap the hair around the straightener to create a smooth curl with ease, and the swivel cord means you won’t become tangled when twisting your hair straightener.
- Keep them moving! Don’t stop with the straighteners, otherwise you could end up with a kink in your hair, or worse burn the hair. Keep moving with a smooth movement for the best end results.
- Don’t curl all the way to the ends. For an on-trend curl stop an inch or two from the bottom of your hair. This helps to keep the volume and texture in the mid section of the hair which is where we want the attention to be focused.
- Change your curl direction and angle for a versatile, customised look. For a more structured look, direct each curl away from your face. If you prefer a messy, undone look then change the direction of each curl.
- Practice makes perfect! This can be a tricky style to master, especially if you are a beginner. However, with plenty of practice you will discover the best way to perfect your curls for an on-trend, beautiful hairstyle.
Shop our Deluxe Hair Straighteners here - perfect for creating stylish curls!